The construction industry is of key strategic importance to the UK economy generating almost £90 billion annually to the treasury. This equates to 6.1 percent of GDP and employing over 3 million people or 10 percent of UK employment (Balfour Beatty Position Paper, 2018).
The sector is facing a ‘perfect storm’ scenario with a number of key elements putting an already struggling industry under increased pressure.
This report sheds light on the current issues in the UK construction sector and the potential impact of Brexit.
• Reduction of skilled construction workers.
• Poor productivity output.
• Labour, materials and legislation.
• Modern methods of construction.
• PESTEL analysis.
• Contractor survey results.