This technical bulletin provides guidance on the use of informants in insurance investigations and includes:
1) An overview of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 and the factors that are taken into account when the police or another public authority decide to make use of an informant.
2) The definition of an informant (or Covert Human Intelligence Source) under the Act.
3) The position of insurers and adjusters in relation to the Act.
4) The position of the FSA and the views of the Courts on methods used to obtain evidence.
5) Additional issues for consideration - involving the police and/or a legal advisor, participating informants, informant's agenda, reputation of insurers and adjusters and staff training.