Tough new laws have been introduced over the last few years to clamp down on dangerous and careless driving with penalties including large fines, driving bans and imprisonment for those caught breaking the law. As a result, any organisation requiring its employees to drive on business must ensure they drive safely and legally or risk a charge of corporate manslaughter if they are involved in a fatal collision.
This paper provides:
• An overview of offences, including drug driving and the respective sentences (Road Traffic Act, section 5A).
• An overview of the impact on driving at work policies.
• Risk management.
• Employers who require employees to drive on business.
• Employees who drive on business.
• Commercial motor brokers.
• Motor trade brokers.
• Fleet managers.